Wednesday, August 28, 2013

(Almost) Caprese Salad


Pardon the poor picture quality, this was taken on my phone.  At work.  BECAUSE AMERICA!  And let's  be real - I don't have an SLR camera at home anyway so this is about as good as it gets.

ANYHOO, just wanted to share a super quick and easy snack that I LOVE.  As you can tell from the glorious photo above, this is basically a dumb downed version of a caprese salad.  No basil.  The balsamic isn't reduced just poured on.  But it's light, filling, and a great mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack.  Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 medium roma tomato (I got mine local.  For me, I would MUCH rather have local over organic)
  • 1-1.5oz fresh mozzarella (I got mine from Aldi)
  • 1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar, depending on your preference and size of your tomato
  • 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (I think we have Star at the house but it honestly doesn't make a difference)
  • Salt + Pepper to taste
  1. Slice your tomato to your desired thickness.  I like to end up with an even number of slices to make the mozzarella cutting easier (This is also called OCD)
  2. Cut a slice of mozzarella about 1/4" thick
  3. Salt and pepper tomato if desired
  4. Cut that slice into 4-6 smaller slices depending on how many slices you got out of your tomato
  5. Place them sweetly on top of your tomato
  6. Drizzle oil and vinegar on top.  Since I packed this snack for work, mine was in a container so mine was shaken together
Voila! Delicious snack with super low calories!  For those health conscious folks like me, here are your nutrition specs*:

Calories:  165
Fat:  13g
Sodium:  105g
Protein:  6g

*From Myfitnesspal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment